Monday, November 26, 2007

trip to Tibet

this weekend I wanted to go to a little village where Tibetan refugees live, so I jumped on a bus to Madikeri on Friday night. Madikeri itself is not a very beautiful village. Though I went to a little hill station to see the sunrise, because I arrived at 5 o'clock in the morning. After a big breakfast I decided to visit some big waterfalls nearby. At least the waterfalls were pretty amazing and I took a rest there for a little time talking to some Indian guys who promised me to visit me sometime in Germany ;)



Back in Madikeri I took a bus to Kushalnagar from where the Tibetan villages are easier to reach. The bus ride was one of the most exciting ones I had over here, as the bus driver really want to test the absolute speed limit you could go with this bus downhill! I have to admit that I was really
scared at some point but although it was a fun ride. I actually really reached the roof f the bus with my head sometimes. In Kushalnagar then I took a rickshaw to the first Tibetan village, called Namdroling.



I visited the golden Temple which is really famous around here. The 18 m Buddha statue there was really impressing and after I walked around the temple environment I took an other rest on a greenfield before the temple and immediatelly fell a sleep. I woke up, because 15 Indians sat around me starting to sing some songs using me as a drum! I was pretty appalled at first but they just thought it was funny. After a little standard chat they left again and I fell back to sleep again. The next time I woke up I was surrounded by a bunch of monks :) Not that surprised this time I finally decided to go on.



The next village I visited was Sera. Roughly 5000 Monks live there and in the immediate vicinity and it is really funny to walk through this village and all the people you see are monks :)
It got finally time to look for a place to stay for the night, but the problem is that you need permission for doing that. This permission of course takes a few months to get it, so I did not even think of applying for that. My plan was to stay in a Buddhist Centre, but when I asked there for a room and admit that I do not have a permit, the first word the Tibetan guy said was "scheisse" :) He really was a funny guy and gave me a room though. If I got caught it would not have looked good for both of us (see the sign). He told me to wait until its dark and to hide from any Jeep I see on the street, because that would be the police on its daily patrol.

Pretty excited after all I went out after six o'clock to go to the main temple. The Tibetan guys at the Buddhist Centre told me that I was really fortunate to come at this time, because at the moment there is a Puja (not the same as a Hindu-Puja) at the Temple. This one year event takes one week and about 4000 monks come there to meditate and pray together. When I arrived at the temple I could already see thousands of shoes lying all around :) I went in carefully and sat down near an other white guy. I was really surprised to see one and after a while I recognized an other western women. It was the most intense atmosphere I ever felt. Sitting there with 4000 Monks and meditate was incredible. When it was finished I went for a walk with the two western people. Sarah lives with the monks every year for some months and she also had a shaved head and wore monk clothes. Coby was here to teach for a couple of weeks and then wanted to travel through India. After some interesting conversations I finally went to bed.

The next morning I had breakfast with some monks and went to explore the city. After lunch I said good-bye to everyone and hopped onto a Bus back to Bangalore.

So that was my last weekend here in Bangalore and on Thursday my time here for the internship is already over. Looking back the time really rushed by. So Thursday I leave for Delhi again and will then fly to Darjeeling for an other 3 days. So then take care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, leave your hat on!!!

Already knowing that you got back safely, I really got goose-fleshes all over while reading your latest adventures, my dearest son!!

Be aware of "Good old Germany" when coming back!!!
Enjoy your last week and week-end..

By the way: what do Indians monks think about German x-mas Parties all over the land?? Would they like to see the Francfort x-mas market and all its amazing consumer goods? e.g.: 2€/1 glass of Glühwein?
Mama

Anonymous said...

Hi phil, sicher ging deine Zeit in Indien schnell vorüber und vielleicht schaust du ein bißchen wehmütig zurück. Aber blick nach vorne: der WSV braucht dich. gestern rief mich Claudia Wallrabenstein an, um mit dir in Kontakt zu kommen. Sie braucht dich dringend für die Osterfahrt (29.03. - 05.04. 2008). Vielleicht kannst du dir das vormerken und schnell reagieren.
Ich freu mich natürlich auch auf dich!!!! Noch ne gute Zeit und bring ein Gewürz mit!!! Lg P.P.

正西 said...

Hi!Tibet travel expert:issue the Travel Permit, provide a rich resource of Tibet travel information and overall service of travelling to Tibet China's Tibet tourism professional website需要的帮助的朋友请联系我们或者登陆我们的网站:http://www.mytibettravel.com 
Tibet travel Tibet travels Tibet Tour Tibet Tours Tibet Trekking Tibet Treks Tibet Adventures Tibet Trip Kailash Tour Tibet permit Tibet travel Tibet Everest tours 您好,交换连接我们是成都点正广告设计公司提供广告设计、画册设计、标志设计、平面设计.成都点正广告设计公司,一个寻找灵感的地方!是一家提供画册设计、包装设计、SI设计、标志设计、平面设计和vi设计为一体的专业广告公司。需要的朋友请联系或者登陆我们的网站:http://www.dzad.net 
成都画册设计 成都标志设计 成都平面设计 成都包装设计 成都SI设计 成都vi设计 成都广告设计公司 成都广告公司 成都广告 成都广告设计 成都设计公司 成都海报设计 成都logo设计 成都印刷设计 丽江旅游 云南丽江旅游 丽江旅游线路 丽江旅游景点 成都SEO、成都网站推广、成都网站优化是成都SEO专业门户网站。专门从事成都SEO、成都网站推广、成都网站优化、成都百度推广优化、成都baidu推广、成都雅虎推广优化、成都yahoo推广、成都谷歌推广优化、成都google推广服务,掌握了SEO技术信息以及推广优化思路,与各客户一直保持着良好的合作关系,并在服务客户过程中积累了丰富的SEO经验。如果您希望既不用耗费大量的时间和精力,又能寻找到能为您的网站带来客户和知名度,那么您就可以选择本工作室为您提供全程贴心服务。我们拥有一支超级强悍的SEO队伍、经验丰富的SEO优化团队为您提供一流水准的网站优化推广专业服务,让您全无后顾之忧!Tibet travel Tibet travels Tibet Tour Tibet Trekking Tibet Treks Tibet Adventures Tibet Trip Kailash Tour Tibet permit Tibet travel Tibet Everest tours我们的网站 http://www.windhorsetour.com 欢迎前往西藏旅游的联系我们

Handysprüche